Sheridan Dictates home page

Following the euphoria of the most unprecedented season in centenary year, the achievements of Marcelo Bielsa's troops finally hit home last week when the fixtures for the new Premier League campaign were released.

The opening weekend sees the Champions play the Champions as Leeds United travel to Liverpool. A fixture that is steeped in history. Memories, good and bad, have been made in front of the Anfield Kop and a new chapter is about to be written.

Here I take a look at the games that Leeds played in the first game following promotion to the top flight of English football. 

30 August 1924

The 1923-24 season saw the club lift the Second Division title after finishing three points clear of Bury who went up in second place. On 30 August 1924, Sunderland became the first team to play United in a First Division fixture and the occasion was embraced by the Leeds public. Queues in Swinegate were five people deep and 150 yards long as supporters boarded the trams to make their way to Elland Road. The situation near the corn exchange, where the Charabancs were operating from, was similar. 

By kick off a crowd of 33,722 had entered the ground, paying gate receipts of £2,192. In front of the (then) record attendance, United looked for the perfect start and Albert McInroy, the Sunderland keeper who would go on to play for Leeds later in his career, made two fine saves in the opening exchanges.

The breakthrough came after 32 minutes when Jack Swan (pictured above) headed his 40th goal for the club and its first ever in the top tier. Excitement reached fever pitch but within 60 seconds Elland Road fell silent when Jock Paterson was left unmarked to score the equaliser from close range.

After a pulsating first 45 minutes, both sides tired in the second half but it was the visitors who came closest to taking the two points. Paterson, looking for his second goal, struck the foot of the post after a fine pass from Charlie Buchan and shortly after, Buchan created a chance for Billy Grimshaw who found the net but saw the effort ruled out for offside.

25 August 1928

At the end of the 1926-27 season the club was back in the Second Division following a miserable campaign. Leeds lost 23 of the 42 games but bounced straight back to the top flight as runners-up to Champions Manchester City.

The 1928-29 season opened at Elland Road and the visitors, Aston Villa, were taken apart in devastating fashion in front of the Lord Mayor.

The prolific Charlie Keetley (pictured above) gave Leeds the lead after 35 minutes when he converted Bobby Turnbull's cross. Within 60 seconds, the same player doubled the advantage by knocking in the rebound after Tom Mitchell's effort had been saved by the Villa custodian, Ben Olney.

Six minutes into the second half, Richard York halved the deficit and for a little while Villa pressed for an equaliser. However, Leeds regained control of the game and with seven minutes left Russell Wainscoat finished off a pass from Turnbull and five minutes later when Turnbull's shot came back off Olney, Keetley was on hand to knock in his third of the afternoon.

27 August 1932

Leeds were struggling to make a real impact in the First Division and were beginning to become a "Yo-Yo club". Relegation had been suffered in 1930-31 but once again, promotion was won at the first attempt as United finished runners-up to Wolverhampton Wanderers in the 1931-32 season.

In keeping with tradition, the top flight campaign started on home soil. This time the visitors were Derby County but the game failed to capture the imagination of the public with only 16,175 entering Elland Road. Derby who had lost 15 away games the previous season, left West Yorkshire with both points following a 2-0 win.

Jimmy Potts in the Leeds goal had made a fine save to deny Peter Ramage and, following a corner, George Milburn was perfectly positioned to head the ball of his own goal line with Potts stranded. At the opposite end, United failed to test the Derby goalkeeper and just before the half time whistle, the visitors took a deserved lead through Jack Bowers.

Leeds' cause was not helped when Willis Edwards (pictured above) retired hurt with a knee injury three minutes into the second half and the ten men conceded a second goal in the closing stages when Dally Duncan put the outcome beyond doubt.

18 August 1956

With the 1939-40 season just three games old, Leeds United was bottom of the First Division and the campaign was aborted due to the outbreak of World War II. It wasn't until August 1946 that the Football League resumed and United, after amassing just 18 points over the 42 games, suffered relegation along with Brentford. 

It wasn't until 1955-56 that Leeds would win back their place at footballs top table when the club was promoted, as runners-up behind Sheffield Wednesday.

The new season got underway in explosive fashion as Everton visited Elland Road but the day would bring together tragedy and triumph during a truly remarkable 90 minutes of play.

It took Leeds just two minutes to break the deadlock when a neat interchange between John Charles and Harold Brook resulted in a goal for Jackie Overfield, who scored with an angled drive. With Everton's Derek Mayers off the field receiving treatment, Charles doubled the lead with a fine header from Brook's cross and it was Brook who made it 3-0 almost immediately when he fastened on to a loose ball. 

When Brook grabbed his second, and Leeds' fourth, the game was only 17 minutes old and all but over as a contest. However, tragedy struck just before the half hour mark when the talented, popular, inside forward, Albert Nightingale (pictured above) suffered a terrible knee injury and he was transported straight to the infirmary.

After 34 minutes, Brook completed his hat-trick and matters got worse for the Merseyside club when Mayers was unable to return for the second half meaning both sides were down to ten men. Everton hit the post through Tommy Eglington early in the second half and with eight minutes left they grabbed a consolation goal through Peter Farrell.  

With the supporters celebrating an opening day win on the long awaited return to the First Division, it was tragedy for Albert Nightingale whose injury that day forced him into retirement at the age of 32.

22 August 1964

Having suffered relegation in 1959-60, drastic changes were needed at Elland Road and in March 1961, Don Revie was appointed as player-manager. Initially little improved and Leeds avoided dropping into the Third Division courtesy of a nine game unbeaten run at the end of the 1961-62 season. 

After narrowly missing out on promotion in 1962-63, Revie took his side back to the big time as Champions the following season but few could envisage what was to come over a glorious decade at home and across Europe.

Leeds started away at Aston Villa and got off to the worst possible start when after just four minutes an unmarked Phil Woosnam headed home a cross from Tony Hateley. 

However, parity was restored within ten minutes when the Villa keeper, Geoff Sidebottom, could only parry a shot and Albert Johanneson (pictured above) poked home the rebound.

Hateley, who hit the bar with a header, was a constant threat for Villa and Jack Charlton came close for Leeds before the interval but it was Big Jack who won the game when his header, on the hour, from a Jim Storrie cross, went in off the post.

25 August 1990

When the final whistle blew to end the controversial European Cup Final in Paris, it signalled the end of the Leeds United glory years. Don Revie had already left to take the England job and one by one, his ageing side departed Elland Road under a flurry of different managers as the club desperately sought a way to return to the top. 

Leeds United, under Allan Clarke, opened the 1981-82 campaign with a 5-1 mauling at newly promoted Swansea City and the inevitable was just around the corner. Come the end of the season, relegation to the Second Division was confirmed.

Eddie Gray was bizarrely sacked with a lorry load of talented youngsters crying out for some real experience and although his replacement Billy Bremner took Leeds to the first ever Play Off Final, promotion was a distant dream. All that changed in October 1988 when Howard Wilkinson replaced King Billy as manager.

Promotion was won in Wilko's first full season when Lee Chapman's header at AFC Bournemouth ensured the title and a return to the promised land. The summer of 1990 was beautiful. With Leeds fans still partying and the country wrapped up in Italia 90, people fell back in love with the national sport after a run of tragedies inside Heysel, Valley Parade and Hillsborough.

Wilkinson took his side to Everton for the season's opener and they produced a fearless performance that had the travelling support behind the goal joyfully chanting: "United are back, United are back!"

After just eight minutes, stylish central defender Chris Fairclough (pictured above) headed home following a long throw in from David Batty and just before half-time Gary Speed slid in to double the advantage from close range. In between the strikes, Everton's Neil McDonald had failed miserably from the penalty spot.

When Imre Varadi, against one of his former clubs, made it 3-0 after 56 minutes, Leeds looked home and dry but the hosts battled back. Goals were scored through Pat Nevin (68') and John Ebbrell (77') and all of a sudden, Goodison was a different place. Everton laid siege to the United goal but an outstanding performance by John Lukic, on his second Leeds debut, denied them an equaliser as the Whites held on for a superb victory.